As one of six academic units of the College of Business, the Department of Finance offers a full-degree program in Finance at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels.
The undergraduate accounting major provides students with an educational foundation appropriate for the pursuit of advanced education and professional careers in accounting and related areas of business and government. Undergraduate accounting majors participate in innovative programs designed to develop technical, analytical, communication, interpersonal, and lifelong learning skills.
For more information and additional student resources, visit the School of Accounting's Department web page.
Which Undergraduate Accounting Program Is Right For Me?
Two undergraduate degree programs in accounting are available. In addition, students may earn undergraduate honors by completing the requirements of the Accounting Scholars Program.
Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA).
BBA students complete the requirements of the School of Accounting in addition to the core business courses taken by all majors in the College of Business.
Bachelors of Science (BS)
BS students complete all BBA requirements plus six credits of math or statistics courses beyond the calculus and statistics required in the Pre-Business foundation courses (e.g., MAC 2311, MAC 2312, STA 3163, ECO 4421, ECO 4422, ECO 4401, ECO 4402, PHI 2102, etc.).
- Prior to beginning upper-division accounting coursework (3000-level and above), students must complete the Accounting Competency Exam.
- The Undergraduate Course Flowchart is a resource for identifying and planning undergraduate accounting coursework.
For the most up-to-date program requirements, download the Program Sheet compiled by Student Academic Services
Graduate on Time with your Flight Plan
IFP Curriculum Sheet
Accounting Scholars Program
High-achieving students can pursue an undergraduate degree with honors by entering our highly acclaimed Accounting Scholars Program. This program is well known for its exceptional job placement rate with more than 90% of its program graduates starting their careers in public accounting. Students in the Accounting Scholars Program may earn either a BBA or a BS degree.
Career Opportunities for Accounting Majors
The accounting major provides relevant training for entry into graduate school and a wide variety of careers in business. Most undergraduate accounting majors focus on the practical application of accounting in public, private, and government sectors. Many undergraduate accounting majors enhance their career potential by pursuing graduate degrees and obtaining professional certifications.
- Click here for more information on career opportunities for an accounting major.
- Click here for more information on professional certifications in accounting.
- Click here for more information on becoming a Certified Public Accountant.
Additional Undergraduate Programs in Accounting
Certificate Programs in Accounting
Graduate Programs in Accounting
- Executive Master of Accounting in Business Valuation
- Executive Master of Accounting in Forensic Accounting
- Executive Master of Taxation
- Master of Accounting (MAC)
- Master of Accounting with Accounting Information Systems Concentration (MAC-AIS)
- Master of Accounting with Tax Concentration (MAC-TAX)
- MBA with Accounting Specialization
- Master of Taxation (MTX)